- Advance our knowledge on the current status of marine plastic pollution;
- Develop innovative technologies able to reduce the amount and impact of plastic pollution on the ecosystem-based services of the Mediterranean and Baltic Seas;
- Set the basis for operational forecasting of the impacts of marine plastic litter pollution on ecosystem services;
- Utilise an ecosystem services angle (such as fishing industry) to identify areas where intervention with project-developed technologies has the greatest potential to tackle marine litter issues and produce impact on human well-being;
- Test the economic feasibility, social acceptance and enabling institutional framework to encourage the uptake and upscaling of innovative marine litter reduction technologies, and
- Change policy and public perceptions and provide advice for management decision-making through focused stakeholder engagement and communication strategies.